Lemberg Law is investigating complaints that the 2021 Toyota RAV4 has defective sunroofs that explode and shatter spontaneously. Vehicle owners report that the sunroof explodes for no apparent reason, usually while driving, but sometimes when parked.
Don’t be stuck with a lemon. You have legal rights to cash, return or buyback.
The law makes Toyota pay legal fees.
We've fixed thousands of lemon problems. Message or call 844-928-4443 today.
Is There a Problem with the Sunroof Shattering in the Toyota RAV4?
There certainly is a problem with the 2021 Toyota RAV4 sunroof. Multiple owners of 2021 Toyota RAV4s, including the Hybrid and Prime, have complained to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). They say their sunroofs (or moonroofs) explode spontaneously without any impact. When this happens, the glass shatters, which is a safety issue.
However, Toyota appears to be disregarding the issue. There are several reports by owners stating that dealers refuse to help. Instead, they tell them to contact their insurance companies.
There is only one owner who reports that the dealership replaced the moonroof and said it would be covered under warranty.
There are no technical service bulletins (TSBs) in the NHTSA files that mention any kind of problem with 2021 Toyota RAV4 sunroofs or moonroofs.
What Problems are Toyota RAV4 Owners Experiencing with Sunroofs?
Many 2021 Toyota RAV4 owners are having explosive experiences. Their sunroofs explode spontaneously, and then the glass shatters.
Here are a few of the complaints to the NHTSA:
- I was driving and was only 5 miles from my home and I heard a loud pop like an explosion. My moonroof/sunroof had spontaneously exploded.
- My sunroof somehow exploded on me while I was driving. There were no vehicles or other things that would have caused rocks to fly and hit the dead center of the sunroof.
- While driving on the highway the sunroof spontaneously exploded outwards sending glass shards behind the vehicle and also down into the cabin. There was no impact with any objects and the vehicle was not passing under any structures.
- I was driving down an open road when I suddenly heard a loud rattling noise and a huge explosion. Luckily, there weren’t any cars around us and we weren’t going very fast. As you can imagine this was very shocking and distracting and I was eventually able to pull over to the side of the road to investigate what had happened.
- Moonroof exploded and shattered while driving down the road in normal conditions, no other issues. Vehicle is less than 3 months old with 7,000 miles. It sounded like a gunshot and only because I reacted without panic did it not cause me to have an accident because of the major distraction.
- Driving to work at about 7:35 in the morning going about 45 mph my moonroof exploded. No other cars were around me and nothing hit my car or moon roof for this to happen.
Concerns of Toyota RAV4 Owners with Exploding Sunroofs
Most of the complaints are from RAV4 owners who have had their SUVs for a relatively short period of time. Many of them say they have seen similar reports online. A major concern is the possibility of an accident or injury. Another is a lack of support from Toyota.
For example, the owner of a RAV4 in California says: “I did attempt to contact Toyota but they refused to assist and told me to contact my insurance. The dealership, Crown Toyota, refused to assist and told me to contact my insurance and said that a rock must have hit.”
An owner from Illinois stated: “I found the moonroof of my 15-day old 2021 Toyota RAV4 spontaneously exploded while sitting parked in my driveway. As the shade that covers the moonroof was open, I incurred minor abrasions from not realizing that the ‘s**t on my console’ was not dust or fuzz, but tiny shards of broken glass that I had already swiped with my hand.”
An owner from Indiana states: “Currently, (I have) had to tarp and duct tape damage because (the) dealership will not fix it under warranty unless I can prove it was a defective glass/part. My dealer did text me and I have it that there are problems. But it’s so hard to prove it will be my expense out of pocket.”
What Should You Do if Your Toyota RAV4 Sunroof Shattered?
Typically, Toyota dealerships won’t replace 2021 RAV4 sunroofs. Instead, owners are commonly forced to claim from insurance policies. But, if this is a defect, shouldn’t Toyota be accepting responsibility?
Lemberg Law is investigating these issues as part of a class action investigation. So, if your sunroof has shattered or exploded, you may want to consider joining the investigation. If you’ve got a lemon, this is probably a good idea.
What you will need to do is complete our case evaluation form or call us at 844-928-4443. We will evaluate your case and see if you qualify. Our services are free because the law states that Toyota must pay all legal bills for lemon law cases.